Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Weekend Recap Pt 1

I've finally recovered from the busy weekend and 'tomorrow' turned into a few days but I'm finally getting a chance to upload photos (slowly) from the weekend and share a recap of our crop weekend.

On Friday we got into the hall just before 5pm (not for lack of trying to get there earlier....I'm sure my mother-in-law would have started at noon if I'd have let her) and we scrapped the night away until shortly after midnight. Saturday morning I was there just before 9 and when I walked in I had a few moments to myself to snap a few pictures of the hall....all set up and ready for a day of scrapping. Everyone agreed that being able to just stop what we were doing, go home, sleep and come back the next day and keep on working was wonderful. No need to pack and unpack.....just continue on where you left off the night before. Originally, when we'd talked about this weekend, the idea was we'd scrap till 2am on the Saturday night but that didn't happen. Didn't even come close. By 10pm most of us were getting tired and by 11:30 some had left. The rest of us thought for sure we'd keep scrapping a while longer but I'm sure it wasn't 20minutes later that we called it a night.

Included in everyone's goodie bag was a bingo card and each square contained a specific product or technique idea. When you used that item or idea on a layout you got to cross it off your card. For each square crossed off I added another ticket into the door-prize bucket and I gave out prizes throughout the weekend. I think everyone got something....and some people should go buy a lottery ticket because their name came out of that bucket alot. :o)



Aunty Hazel said she loved the bingo card because it made her try things that she wouldn't have otherwise done and that it sure added variety to her pages. On this page she stamped the image of the girl and hand painted the image using ink from stamp pads and a paint brush. Of course that was the whole point to the bingo card - to try new things (or use old things you'd hadn't in awhile). I know for myself I get into a rut and sometimes my pages all start looking the same because I'm using the same techniques or ideas over and over. A few people also added to the challenge of the bingo card by seeing how many of the "squares" they could get onto one page. I wish I'd taken a picture of Evelyn's page that she did using as many of the 'squares' as she could. It turned out great!

Sadly nobody completed the whole card.....nobody wanted to use staples. Oh well. I'll make them use them next time. It will be my challenge to show them the possibilities.



One of the great things about getting together like this to scrapbook is that you are almost certain to learn something from those around you. Everyone has a different way of doing things --- such as how to cover chipboard with paper.......... or how to print journalling and titles. Heather brought her printer and a (quirky) laptop and spent quite a bit of time helping out with that.


I demonstrated a couple new techniques over the weekend and I think everyone enjoyed learning them. I know I spotted a few of them being used in pages over the weekend. Elaine used faux leather crumpled paper as journalling mats on one layout and I heard the phrase "I'm waiting for my paper to dry" a few times Saturday afternoon. Heather used the chalkboard title idea quite a few times including on a double page layout she made twice...two copies of the same layout...one for her album and a 2nd copy as a gift for my son. I'm pretty sure she took the layout apart more than twice too - trying to get everything perfectly straight.


On Sunday I taught everyone how to make patterned cardstock using a technique called Emerging Colour. This technique is a step up from random stamping and involves using clear embossing powder to "mask" stamped images so that when you add colours ontop of the embossed images using sponge daubers, the masked images remain untouched by the added colour. I'll share my samples as well as some of the ones made during the class but for now, my internet connection is being very picky and since I'm uploading images one at a time and keep loosing my connection and having to start over....I'm beyond frusterated so the rest of the pictures will have to wait till part 2 of this weekend recap. I also took pictures of some of my favorite layouts made this weekend (or ones I found in everyones albums) and I'll share a few of those as my patience and internet allows.

~K

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could figure out how to make the pictures go where I want them on my blog!

    ReplyDelete